Saturday, April 24, 2010

Time is Winding Down...

Since returning from Chile the days have been feeling shorter and shorter. I was back in Mendoza for about four days before another team was being put together to head back to Chile. I ended up going back to Constitucion for another ten days. When we arrived back in Chile we found a group of fifty people who were working with group in various ways throughout the city.
Within three days a group of men from a church in Chile completely reconstructed a kindergarten that was ruined in the earthquake. We also spent time helping remove rubble from different homes. It was quite an experience to be helping people sort through all their belongings that were destroyed from the earthquake and tsunami. From our perspective it could be quite an easy job. So many things were ruined we just got rid of them, but then I was imagining if this were my house. How difficult would it be to be sorting through all my own belongings, my family´s belongings? Thinking about how every item could hold meaning or memories really changed my perspective on the work we were doing. We also had time for many laughs as well. One of these interesting times was when the guys were cleaning out a home and when attempting to move the fridge someone decided to crack open the fridge door... You can just imagine the smell that leaked out from the combination of the food being within the unplugged fridge for an entire month, after having gone through the earthquake and tsunami! Let´s just say none of us had ever smelt anything like it.
We also were able to attend a ceremony where the city mayor dedicated Constitucion to Jesus Christ. I´m thankful we were able to be a part of this as our group had been praying for the city, done prayer walks, and held intercessions for the city since arriving several weeks ago.
Being back at the base I have only one week left before my amazing friend, Sheena, arrives! Although it will be sad to leave all my new friends here in Argentina I am very excited to be able to spend some time with Sheena and then to head back to the States at the end of May. It´s crazy when I think about all the different circumstances I´ve been in since leaving for my DTS last August. In many ways I can see how God has been moving, yet there are many ways that I still am wondering, trusting that God has purpose in everything. Many experiences have been packed into the past several months and now I am excited to be heading back home to hopefully have some time to process and recap all the blessings and trials I have been through during my time with YWAM.

No comments:

Post a Comment